Purpose: The purpose of the Western DuPage Chamber of Chamber is to promote economic development, develop, preserve and coordinate the private enterprise efforts of the business and professional communities in working toward a growing, viable, and prosperous business climate, and to serve as an axis around which the business, educational, industrial, governmental and professional people work to improve the business climate and the quality of life in the Western DuPage County regional area.
City of Warrenville - www.warrenville.il.us
The City of Warrenville, located approximately 30 miles west of the City of Chicago, is recognized as a small, hometown refuge nestled in the center of the dynamic and nationally recognized research and development corridor that runs through DuPage County, Illinois. It's a town where families can enjoy a safe, clean, aesthetic way of life and businesses benefit from a community that is open for business. Warrenville's location at the Winfield Road interchange on I-88 connects to a network of County roads, which provide easy access to both homes and businesses. Warrenville’s population of 13,140 allows the City to maintain that small-town feel and still have the advantage of drawing upon a diversified tax base to ease the financial burden off of residential property owners.
History: Settled in 1833 and incorporated in 1967, Warrenville has a history rich in the American tradition. Blazing the trails west from New York, Julius Warren came to this area with his family claiming land along the DuPage River. Carving out a niche in housing development, Julius helped new settlers by providing cut lumber for their homes as well as acting in other capacities including, surveyor, developer, land baron, mail carrier, census taker, spokesman, and innkeeper. Eventually earning the title of Colonel for his leadership in the community, Julius built an inn and tavern that became a popular gathering place for travelers and settlers alike.
About West Chicago
City of West Chicago - www.westchicago.org
West Chicago is a diverse, family-oriented community with a rich cultural mix and a proud heritage. It is the first Illinois community established by the railroads and continues to be a convenient transportation hub served by three major rail lines, one of Illinois’ busiest airport and three state highways. West Chicago offers excellent schools, a growing business park and convenient access to parks, shopping and restaurants.
History: West Chicago is the first Illinois community created by the debut of the railroads. Early records show that a few settlers owned property in the area of present day West Chicago as early as the late 1830s. In 1849 a town began to form when the Galena & Chicago Union Railroad (predecessor of the Chicago & North Western, now the Union Pacific) arrived from Chicago.
By 1873 the community had taken on a substantial and permanent character, so the residents incorporated as the Village of Turner. In 1888 a new railroad, the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern built a freight line through town. It offered free factory sites for any industry willing to locate along its right-of-way. As part of the effort to attract industry, the community changed its name in 1896 to the Village of West Chicago. Area businessmen, particularly Charles Bolles, reasoned that the new name sounded more cosmopolitan, and would help draw prospective factory owners.
Village of Winfield - www.villageofwinfield.com
Winfield is home to Central DuPage Hospital, one of the largest hospitals in the Chicago suburbs. Winfield has a Metra station on the Union Pacific/West Line, which provides regular commuter rail service to Chicago. Attractions adjacent to Winfield include the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County's Kline Creek Farm, a living history farm located on the west side of County Farm Road between Geneva and St. Charles Roads; and Cantigny, which includes public gardens, museums, golf courses, picnic grounds and hiking trails.
History: The Village of Winfield was incorporated as a village in 1921, but has roots from the 1830s, originally known as Gary's Mill after early settler Eurastus Gary, and later, Fredricksburg, owing to a significant German-speaking population. In the late 1800s, the settlement’s name was changed again to Winfield after the war hero Winfield Scott.
Hedges station is the oldest train depot in Illinois. It was built in 1849 on the west side of Church Street, where the police station is currently standing. In 1977 Winfield Township bought the station after all the owners had died. Their plan to demolish the building to construct a parking lot and more village offices was opposed by citizens who wanted the oldest building standing in Winfield to be turned into a historical site instead. After many arguments, the Township decided to move in to another location. In 1981 Hedges station was moved to Winfield road, where it is currently located, and is now a museum.