NewsAuthentic Italian Recipe: Classic Marinara Sauce - Found in Italy!
Authentic Italian Recipe
Classic Marinara Sauce
Makes about 5 cups
This recipe is from Palizzi Social Club in Philadelphia, #4 Best New Restaurant in America 2017. Get the recipe for the stuffed shells here.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs basil
- 2 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a medium heavy pot over medium. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until very soft, 8–10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 5 minutes; stir in basil. Add tomatoes, crushing with your hands as you go; season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat; simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thick, about 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Do Ahead: Sauce can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and chill, or freeze up to 3 months.
Recipe by Palizzi Social Club, Philadelphia, PA
YOUR DREAM AWAITS!
A wonderful dish that can be found only in Italy! Always wanting to go to Italy and experience the Amalfi Coast or Pompei? Come with the Western DuPage Chamber of Commerce on a trip of a lifetime! Visit WWW.WDCCTRAVEL.COM
or click on the "Italy Trip
" tab through our website and see how an incredible adventure awaits! Our chamber will be visiting: Naples Sorrento Pompeii Capri Amalfi Positano Ravello
Rich in culture and stunning scenery, irresistible Southern Italy is the setting for this breathtaking journey. Enjoy an eight-day journey back to the old country where you will explore not one, but many Italies. As one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, find yourself relaxing in the town of Sorrento or sight-seeing along the Amalfi Coast, which includes gorgeous places such as Positano, Ravello and Amalfi. On this remarkable trip you will also encounter the world famous archeological site of Pompeii. The beautiful Amalfi Coast awaits you with its great food, historical sites and beautiful architecture, providing an unforgettable Italian experience. Click here for more information!