Authentic Italian Recipe
Pasta e Fagioli with Escarole
Parmesan rind and a kitchen sink’s worth of aromatics give heady flavor to this classic pasta fagioli recipe with beans and pasta.
- 1½ cups dried cannellini (white kidney) beans, soaked overnight
- 1 Parmesan rind (about 2 ounces), plus shaved Parmesan for serving
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed, halved crosswise
- 2 celery stalks, halved crosswise
- 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise; plus 2 cloves, chopped
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 dried chiles de árbol or ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, plus more crushed for serving
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 14.5-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 3 ounces dried lasagna or other flat pasta, broken into 1–1½-inch pieces
- ½ small head of escarole, leaves torn into 2-inch pieces
- Bring beans, Parmesan rind, carrots, celery, head of garlic, parsley, rosemary, bay leaves, chiles, and 2 quarts water to a boil in a medium pot. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, adding more water as needed, until beans are tender, about 1½ hours. Season with salt and pepper, remove from heat, and let sit 30 minutes. Discard vegetables, rind, and herbs.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 Tbsp. oil in a large pot over medium. Cook onion and chopped garlic, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8–10 minutes. Add tomatoes, crushing with your hands, and cook, stirring often, until liquid is almost completely reduced, 12–15 minutes. Add wine, bring to a boil, and cook until almost completely evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans and their liquid; cook until flavors meld, 12–15 minutes. Add pasta; cook, stirring and adding more water as needed, until al dente, 15–20 minutes. Add escarole and cook until wilted, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper. Serve soup drizzled with oil and topped with Parmesan and more chile.
Recipe by Chris Morocco, Photo by Gentl Hyers
YOUR DREAM AWAITS!
A wonderful dish that can be found only in Italy! Always wanting to go to Italy and experience the Amalfi Coast or Pompei? Come with the Western DuPage Chamber of Commerce on a trip of a lifetime! Visit WWW.WDCCTRAVEL.COM
or click on the "Italy Trip
" tab through our website and see how an incredible adventure awaits! Our chamber will be visiting: Naples Sorrento Pompeii Capri Amalfi Positano Ravello
Rich in culture and stunning scenery, irresistible Southern Italy is the setting for this breathtaking journey. Enjoy an eight-day journey back to the old country where you will explore not one, but many Italies. As one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, find yourself relaxing in the town of Sorrento or sight-seeing along the Amalfi Coast, which includes gorgeous places such as Positano, Ravello and Amalfi. On this remarkable trip you will also encounter the world famous archeological site of Pompeii. The beautiful Amalfi Coast awaits you with its great food, historical sites and beautiful architecture, providing an unforgettable Italian experience. Click here for more information!